FAQ & Information

Registration and Graduation

How do I register for courses?
After the registration period begins, students register for their own courses through the CUNYfirst portal. Log in with your CUNYfirst username and access the Student Portal on the left hand menu. From there, you can view your course history and add/drop classes.

How do I register for courses that require special permission/overtally?
If you are blocked from registering for a course on CUNYfirst, it may be that the course is over-enrolled, you have a missing prerequisite, or the course requires special permission from the professor. In any case, you should contact the professor by email and ask for their permission to enroll. (See contact info for all current faculty here.) If the professor grants their permission, you can then forward their response to Art Department staff, who can override the block and register you for the course. Department staff cannot authorize registration for the course without permission from the instructor.

How do I register for an ePermit class?
QC students may register for courses at other CUNY schools via ePermit registration. Information on the full ePermit process is available from the Registrar. Specific questions about your ePermit status can be directed towards the current Art Department approver, Professor Danne Woo.

How do I change a grade/incomplete?
Students who need to resolve an incomplete or alter a grade should contact their professor directly.

How do I file for graduation?
Students must file for graduation on CUNYfirst during their final semester. For graduation filing deadlines and further information, visit the QC Graduation info page.

Courses and Curriculum

What classes will be available next semester?
To see the full course listings for the upcoming sessions, including schedules and descriptions, browse the available courses in CUNYfirst.

How do I declare a major/minor?
To declare an art major or minor, students will need to fill out this form and have it signed by the appropriate party in the art department. For Art History and Design programs, the form needs to be signed by a program advisor. For Studio Art, department staff can sign the form, but it is recommended that students meet with a program advisor as soon a possible following their declaration.

What classes do I need to take for my program?
Program requirements are listed in the updated bulletins as well as the program information sheets, available in the right-hand menu. All our full-time faculty have advising hours for their program area to assist with course selection. If you are concerned about your program requirements or other curriculum-based questions, we encourage you to set up an advising appointment. Visit the Advising page to see the full list of program advisors, contact information, and schedules.

How do I get transfer credits evaluated?
Transfer credits and courses taken at other schools will be evaluated by our program advisors during an advisement meeting. Up to 21 transfer credits can be accepted towards your major. Visit the Advising page to see the full list of program advisors, contact information, and schedules.

How do portfolio reviews work? For our BFA degrees, students are required to submit their works for a portfolio review after completing foundational courses. Studio Art BFA candidates can sign up for a Portfolio Review with the review committee during the middle of the Spring or Fall semesters (typically March and October, respectively). After the date for portfolio reviews is announced, students can sign up in the Art Office for a time slot to meet with the committee and provide 5-6 pieces for review and acceptance into the degree track.

Design BFA students have a program-specific portfolio review with the Design faculty. See the Design Portfolio Review page for full details.

Facilities and Studios

(Please note that these policies are subject to change given current COVID-19 restrictions)

How do I sign up for a locker?
Please see the Locker Registration Instructions (pdf) and Locker Policy (pdf)

How do I sign up for a studio space?
Private studio spaces are only available for graduate students and undergraduate students who are currently enrolled in a Senior Projects class. Students currently registered for a Senior Projects class will be assigned studio spaces by the Studio Area Supervisor.

When are the wood/metal/print shops open?
See open hours and access policies for the wood and metal shops at the Studio Art Facilities page. [/learn_more]

Where can I access special equipment for my class?
For laptops, projectors, scanners, and AV equipment: students can visit the Visual Resources Center supervised by Jacqui Hopely Monkell in Klapper room 163.

To borrow photo equipment: registered students taking photography or digital imaging classes may borrow equipment such as cameras, lights, and tripods from the Klapper Digital Imaging Lab supervised by Matt Greco in Klapper room 106.

To use studio tools and equipment: registered studio art students can inquire about borrowing studio tools and supplies such as drills, ladders, and other equipment with the Studio Area Supervisor, Paula Costanzo.

Where can I print?
Students currently enrolled in a Photography or Digital Imaging course that requires high-quality prints for their coursework can get their works printed at the Klapper Digital Imaging Lab in Klapper room 106. Prints on regular paper can be printed at one of the campus printing labs in the I-building or Rosenthal Library.

Important Dates

2021 Deadlines for Current Students

Fall semester begins Aug 25th
Last day to register for courses Aug 31st
Registration for Spring 2022 courses beings Mid-Oct
Last day to withdraw from courses Dec 13th
Final day of Fall 2021 semester Dec 21st

Deadlines for Prospective Students

Last day to apply as a Freshman/Transfer for Fall February 1st
Last day to apply as a Freshman/Transfer for Spring September 15th
Graduate Art History: Last day to apply for Fall April 1st
Graduate Art History: Last day to apply for Spring November 1st
Graduate Studio Art: Last day to apply for Fall February 15th
Graduate Studio Art: Last day to apply for Spring October 15th

For other important academic dates and events, view the Queens College calendar.

Spam prevention powered by Akismet